Friday, March 12, 2010

Meal planning and other money saving tips!

A friend recently asked me how I planned my meals so I sent her this week's menu.  I do not plan lunches and breakfasts because as a family we're not all up at the same time and because DH works swing shifts we can not all eat at the same time even on the weekends.  Same goes for lunches.  I do make a big effort for the evening meal though because Brandon and I both eat then and that is one meal even DH can have some f even if it means packing it and reheating it later.

So this weeks menu:-

Monday:- Tacos, Corn Cake, Refried Beans and homemade salsa
Tuesday:- Lasagna
Wednesday:- Chicken, beansprouts and baby bok choi stir fry with jasmine rice
Thursday:- Tomato Soup and grilled cheese sandwiches
Friday:- Chicken and vegetable Tikka Masala and Basmati Rice
Saturday:- Leftovers and Sandwiches
Sunday:- Crawfish at Pappadeaux

Next week's menu is looking like this so far:-

Monday:- Shepherd's Pie
Tuesday:- Brunch for dinner
Wednesday:- Steamed fish with ginger and green onion and Jasmine Rice
Thursday:-
Friday:- Leftovers and Sandwiches
Saturday:-  Pork chops, egg and tomato sauce with Jasmine rice
Sunday:-

There are holes still because I haven't decided what I want to do on Sunday and Thursday, I have 2 dinners in mind that are interchangeable.

I shop on either Thursday or Friday and get everything I need for the upcoming week.  Leftover and Sandwiches days often fall on the days DH is gone for a double shift, which makes very good use of leftovers.  Also I try to plan an eat out day so I can get a break and give my kitchen a rest ;)  All the dishes I make are enough to feed a family of 4 or more.  I don't try to scale down because I know for lunches etc... it is much healthier to fix a small portion of leftovers than goto McDonald's or any other fast food joint.

I also stay way within budget when I grocery shop this way.  I only have what I need on my list plus breakfast foods and of course I use what I have in my pantry which incidentally is emptying quite nicely!

No comments: